Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"Chicago, in fashion..."

So I have been in Chicago for almost a month now, trying to settle in as best as I can. I miss NYC a lot more than I thought I would. I move into my new place next week so that should help me feel more at home. Once again I will be living with two people I don’t know, but they seem like cool guys and I’ve had luck living with strangers in the past. I hope it works out again.

I am sort of in a funk right now, but it hopefully it won’t last long. I tend to follow a pattern when I move to a new city: talk about the last city I lived in, the people I hung out with and what we did, and calling the public transportation the wrong thing (It the "El” Stefania, not the subway!”), and generally missing that city and romanticizing it. How could I have grown so fond of NYC when for the first 6 months I was pining away for DC? In time I will fall back in love with Chicago. I have always loved this city and was very fond of it when I went to DC (“It the Metro Stefania, not the “El!”). I just need to find Stefania’s Chicago, just like I found Stefania’s DC and Stefania’s NYC. Because Stefania’s Chicago at 22 just isn’t cutting it for me now.

The first thing I do when I move to a new city is find out what bands/artist are coming to town. It’s like a security blanket. Unfortunately like last summer when I arrived in NYC, most of the shows I wanted to see were sold out due to ticket sales that happened before I had any intention of moving.

There are some good acts that are going to come late summer/fall, and so I’m planning those shows now. I unfortunately missed the start of The White Stripes ticket sale. Sad face. But I am going to be on top of things from here on out.

Also a ton of acts aren’t coming to Chicago for a summer show. Well they are, but instead they are a part of the 3 day music festival that is Lollapalooza. Bands such as Pearl Jam, Interpol, Modest Mouse, TV on the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and many others will be gracing the stage:
http://www.lollapalooza.com

Now after my Vegoose experience I have come to the conclusion that I’m probably not a good festival concert goer. So when I arrived in Chicago people started asking, “Are you going to go to Lolla?” As much as I would love to see some of the acts, I really have no interest in going. One main reason is that the 3 day pass is $195, and a single day pass is $80. It’s not that bad of a price for all the acts you are getting, but then I go back to my complaints about festivals.

Maybe next summer I’ll go since I feel like I should experience it at least once. And who knows? I may end up loving it and it will have converted me festival going. However, I think that may be a job for Austin City Limits…

xoxo,
Stefania

P.S. One band that will be here in September is Denton, Texas’ own, Midlake. I will definitely have to get tickets once they go on sale. Since I am going to a wedding this weekend in DC I find their song “Young Bride” to be fitting.



Comments:
Hey Stefania -- was worried there for a while since you weren't posting! Looking forward to more reports.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?