Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I heart KEXP!

On Thursday October 4th I took the day off of work so I could volunteer with KEXP while they broadcast here in Chicago for three days. Chicago won the city challenge during the last pledge drive and as a reward John Richards and Cheryl Waters broadcast their shows out of Engine Studios, http://www.enginestudios.com/, Oct 3rd-5th. I wish I could have volunteered all 3 days, but I couldn’t due to work. Sad face.

I was only signed up for one shift, 7:30am-10am, during John’s show. However, I had signed up for all of the in studio performances that day, so I was going to be there the whole time.

Since there were a lot of KEXP and Engine Studio staff and Engine studio interns there really wasn’t a whole lot for me to do. So I answered the phones when I could and let people know where to go during the performances.

The KEXP blog was updated as the day progressed by a really cool gal named Meredith who works for KEXP. She is originally from Lubbock, TX and we talked a lot about the area and what we liked/disliked about it. The photos were taken by another volunteer named Susana Meza. I also spent a lot of time hanging out with Shannon, who does a show before John’s show on Tuesday mornings, who did most of the band interviews.

The first act of the day was The 1900s:
http://depts.washington.edu/kexp/blog/?p=3402

The second in studio was Imperial Teen:
http://depts.washington.edu/kexp/blog/?p=3403
Notice who wrote it? ME!!! I was really excited when I was asked if I would mind taking notes and then doing a write up of the performance. Meredith had to run out during the set, and Tobias (the main organizer of the KEXP Chicago Posse) asked if I would mind stepping in. I was so nervous, but said yes. I almost got to interview them as well if Shannon wasn’t able to, but she was. Oh well maybe next time. I was surprised that I got the writing credit. How cool is that?

Also during the Imperial Teen set I did my imitation of “bass face” but was unaware that Susana had caught me!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The third act of the day was The Twilight Sad:
http://depts.washington.edu/kexp/blog/?p=3409 I also had a ticket for their show that night at the Empty Bottle. Shannon is a super big fan of theirs as well, and she too was planning on going to the show.

The final in studio came from Jose Gonzalez:
http://depts.washington.edu/kexp/blog/?p=3416
I made it in a picture! Look at how into it I am. He is so talented.

After the eventful day in the studio I went home to rest up a bit for the member party and then the once a month show put on by KEXP and the Chicago Posse called the Equalizer. I have now volunteered my services and time to the Chicago Posse, and I hope to take on more of a leadership role.

At the member party I got to meet more KEXP members in the area (I sat at the welcome table with the free swag—buttons, stickers, sign up sheet), and spent some more time with my favorite DJs.

Cheryl, me, and John
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The performances that night for Equalizer came from Mason Proper, Airiel, and Scotland Yard Gospel Choir. However, Shannon and I left early to go see The Twilight Sad.

The Empty Bottle is a tiny venue with the stage barely above the floor. We arrived literally 10 minutes before the Twilight Sad took the stage. They played pretty much every song off of their album Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters…my favorite being “That Summer, At Home I Had Become The Invisible Boy,” which is a reference from the movie Stand By Me.

Shannon and I at the show
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I had such an amazing day being a KEXP tool. I met a ton of great people and got to be a part of something I truly loved. A highlight on Friday was when I was back in my cubicle working and John gave me a shout out on the air. Next year when they come back I plan to volunteer everyday. It was too much fun not to.

xoxo,
Stefania

Comments:
Umm, is that your air guitar impersonation???
Very cool, Stef, keep the blog posts coming!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?