Monday, March 30, 2009

Art is subjective

So my friend Bodie sent me a link to the Department of Eagles’ video for “No One Does It Like You” last week and it took me to the MoMA site. Turns out it was directed by Patrick Daughters and Marcel Dzama, and the costumes and sets were designed by Dzama.

You may know Daughters from his past videos: Yeah Yeah Yeah’s “Maps”, Feist’s “Mushaboom”, The Shins’ “Phantomb Limb”, Interpol’s “No I In Threesome”, and many many more.

Maybe you know Dzama from his artwork gracing Beck’s Guero album or The Weakerthans’ Reconstruction Site. He has also had several exhibits here in the states, and a large number of his work in the Tate (London). He is Canadian.

Also in doing more research about the video, I found that the choreography was done by a member of Fischerspooner. My bet is Stephanie Dixon since she is their dancer.

I like, respect, and admire both of these men’s work. However, for some reason this video really bothers me. I find it a bit disturbing and haunting. Maybe like the war it is meant to portray?

This was part of MoMA’s PopRally program.



xoxo,
Stefania

Comments:
Well, yes...I forwarded the video to you. But, you're the damn music/art/social encyclopedia!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?