Thursday, September 24, 2009

"I'm walking away now, one step forward, back two..."

On Wednesday, July 29th my friend Natalie and I went to go see The Dead Weather at the Vic. A few months prior Natalie had asked if I wanted a ticket to go to the show, even though we were both pretty unfamiliar with the sound of this Jack White lead super group, other members include: Alison Mosshart (The Kills), Dean Fertita (Queens of the Stone Age), and Jack Lawrence (The Raconteurs and The Greenhornes).

However, I had heard some songs on KEXP and I was really obsessed with the movie-type-poster-photos from the “Treat Me Like Your Mother” video: http://www.thedeadweather.com/treatmelikeyourmother/. I ended up getting the album when it was released and was hooked, hooked, hooked. I absolutely loved it and had it on repeat for weeks. I know it will be on my best of 2009 list. As the date approached I got more and more excited.

When the day finally came, Natalie and I met for dinner and drinks. We made it over to the Vic as the opening act, Screaming Females
http://screamingfemales.blogspot.com/, were finishing up their last few songs. Their lead singer looked like an adult Ramona Quimby, had Ramona thought she was still 8 and dressing and keeping her hairstyle that way. Their sound was upbeat, fast, and rocking: http://www.myspace.com/screamingfemales.They weren’t bad and a good fit as an opener for The Dead Weather.

When the lights dimmed and the band came out and started playing “I Cut Like a Buffalo” I knew Alison was going to take no mercy on us and would just rock us out of the theater. The band also kept our attention and had us wanting more by the end of the show. The setlist was as followed:

1. I Cut Like a Buffalo

2. 60 Feet Tall
3. You Just Can't Win (Them cover)
4. Outside (The Downliners Sect cover)
5. Bone House

6. So Far From Your Weapon
7. A Child of a Few Hours is Burning to Death
8. Rocking Horse
9. No Hassle Night
10. Forever My Queen (Pentagram cover)
11. Will There Be Enough Water?
Encore
12. Hang You From The Heavens

13. Treat Me Like Your Mother

14. New Pony (Bob Dylan cover)

After the show I was pumped. I felt like I wanted to either punch someone, make out with them, or both. It was an adrenaline rush and I was sad that they couldn’t keep playing all night. I mean they only have one album and did a handful of covers, but they could have played well into the morning and I would have been happy.

This was by far my favorite show of the summer.

xoxo,
Stefania

Comments:
loved this concert...I saw it at the 9:30 club in dc. i felt totally pumped afterward too. a mutual friend pointed me your way and i'll definitely be following your blog - thanks!
 
Thanks for reading! I am glad you liked the show in DC. 9:30 Club is my all time favorite venue and I miss it so much! But at least I have some comparable spots here in Chicago. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?