Monday, November 09, 2009

"Don’t want you to hold me, if fits just like a glove..."

A few weeks prior to the show I get a text from my friend Alessandra: “Mars Volta on Friday, Sept. 11th. Who’s in?” I think a minute and respond, “Me! I’ll get my ticket now.” And it was done. I knew very little about The Mars Volta other than they formed out of At the Drive-In and play proggy, experimental, heady rock. And then I started to think about what songs I knew of theirs and realized not many. I could picture certain album covers, but not songs. Oh well, this show can be my education, right?

On Friday, September 11th I met Alessandra and Victoria at the Congress Theater to see these shaggy haired, skinny Texas boys melt my face off. It was a 17 and up show so the teens were out in full force. At first only the floor was open and not the balcony. The floor area is so large once it started filling up it, our line of sight was diminishing. Then we noticed people starting to sit in the balcony. I went up to investigate and discovered we were able to sit there. I snagged some good seat and texted for the rest of my party to join me.

We sat and waited for the show to start. Since this was, “An evening with The Mars Volta” there was no opening act. Which was okay with me. When they took the stage the crowd went wild. Since I just admitted I don’t know much of their music, I had no idea what songs they played. But thank you rabid fans for posting a set list for me:

1. Son Et Lumiere
2. Intertiatic E.S.P.
3. Goliath

4. Cotopaxi
5. Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)
6. Viscera Eyes
7. Halo Of Nembutal's
8. Eunuch Provocateur
9. Ilyena
10. Teflon
11. Drunkship Of Lanterns
12. Luciforms
13. The Widow (the song I did know)

14. Wax Simulacra

I really enjoyed The Mars Volta and they put on a great live show. Full of energy and cool visuals: light show and the backdrop changed around 4 times through the set. Cedric Bixler-Zavala has such a distinct and powerful voice it was just amazing watching and listening to him and Omar Rodríguez-López just shredded it on guitar.

Even though I was not as familiar with the band before seeing them live, I’m glad I went and got to know them better.

Official site:
http://www.themarsvolta.com/

xoxo,
Stefania

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?